Organizers - Aims
The seminar is being organized by the Communication, Media and Culture Department of Panteion University of Social and Political Sciences with the collaboration of the municipality of Hermoupolis-Syros http://www.hermoupolis.gr/Tourism_EN.aspx and local cultural and educational institutions. We aim to develop a high quality program of international appeal concerning the disciplines of journalism, new media, culture and creative economy.
The current technological and socioeconomic developments bring forth a new reality in the respective fields of communication, culture and economy. For the first time in history, citizens have the means and potential to create content and make it available to an international audience. Simultaneously, an emerging Knowledge-based economy makes the creative sector a crucial pillar of development and offers many opportunities to utilize and promote cultural content in economically efficient ways.
- Ethics and practices of e-journalism
- Surveying and managing content – Data mining
- Shading light on cultural heritage and modern creative activities using New Media
- The culture of the Aegean Sea and the city of Hermoupolis as sources of inspiration
- The importance of Creative Economy and new opportunities to utilize cultural content in economically efficient ways
- New business models and social entrepreneurship in Media and Culture
Time and place
The seminar will take place from the 18th until the 28th of June 2015 in Hermoupolis, Syros. Participants will be staying at the Francoise Hotel http://www.francoise.gr/el_GR/c/seo which will also be hosting the seminar’s proceedings.
We are expecting to welcome 40 students (undergraduate, postgraduate and PhD candidates) and Professors from Greek and foreign Universities and journalism, communication, culture and creative economy Departments and academic programs. The language of the seminar is English.
How to apply
If you would like to be considered for participation in the Syros International Seminar please send your CV through the contact us page.
Deadline for applications: 31 May 2015